Cinema Makeup School presents
2014 Monster Scholarship Showdown
Costume Contest Rules:
To Enter: Entries may be submitted by any legal U.S. resident or foreign national on valid travel, work, or student visa. Entrants’ work will be reviewed by members of Cinema Makeup School’s panel and judged on broad criteria with an emphasis on makeup design and application.
CLICK TO RESERVE A SPOT ONLINE
or call the school at 213-368-1234 for alternate instructions.
All work and applications should be completed prior to arrival. We are NOT asking you to apply makeup at the convention site.
- Entrants shall produce and apply one creature or character costume with makeup as a featured design element.
- Entrants may use a model, but must perform all design and applications themselves. All essential makeup/mask elements must be the entrant’s own work.
- Entrant must be present at the time of the contest. Entries will be judged based on a simple walk-on-and-turn display on the stage. Admission to Son of Monsterpalooza for Sunday, October 13, is required for entrants (and models) to participate.
- Convention rules outlaw metal weapons, live firearms, pyrotechnics, and smoke effects as well as any items or elements that could potentially harm festivalgoers or onlookers. Monsterpalooza also asks that you respect the open convention atmosphere and keep designs appropriate for general viewing.
- The winner will be chosen subjectively, based upon a combination of the following criteria with an emphasis on makeup:
Makeup design (originality, technical ability, impact); Makeup technique (quality of application, skill, inventiveness); Costume design; Audience reaction; Vision; potential/experience
- Prizes are as follows:
1st place: $8,000 scholarship / $500 cash / Additional prize package
2nd place: $3,000 scholarship / $300 cash / Additional prize package
3rd place: $1,000 scholarship / $200 cash / Additional prize package
Terms & Conditions apply.* Scholarship prizes subject to additional eligibility restrictions.†
*Contest Terms & Conditions:
CMS reserves the right to disqualify entries that do not comply with the contest rules at any time. Contest is open to all legal U.S. residents and foreign nationals on valid travel, work, or student visas. Rules, restrictions, prize details and guidelines are subject to change without notice. The decision of the judges shall be final. By entering, each applicant grants Cinema Makeup School and Monsterpalooza the right to use their names and likenesses and images of their entry for publicity purposes.
†Scholarship Terms & Conditions:
Each Scholarship winner must meet the enrollment pre-requisites for Cinema Makeup School. Enrollment requirements: each individual must be over the age of 18 by the time they begin classes, and must have proof of high school completion or its equivalent. The Scholarship is open to U.S. citizens, U.S. residents and to international students who must meet the requirement of qualification for an M-1 student visa under the regulations of the U.S. Department of State. The winner must be able to provide confirmation of requirements within 30 days of the announcement as the winner, or the Scholarship will go to the runner-up. The Scholarship can be used only at the Los Angeles campus. The recipient must start classes by December 31, 2014. The award may be used towards tuition only (not lab fees, materials or other costs) for any Class or Program at Cinema Makeup School – up to $8,000 USD (Grand Prize). There is no cash award or cash value for unused funds. Scholarship awards are non-transferable. The decision of the panel is final. Only the winners are guaranteed notification. By accepting the Scholarship, each winner grants Cinema Makeup School and Monsterpalooza the right to use their names and likenesses for publicity purposes relating to the Scholarship.